Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Very Last Ball

The ferns are gilding themselves in bronze these days, almost as if they are putting on armor for battle against the coming winter winds.  They look bold as if defying changes and seeming to deny that they are facing an impending big sleep.

The fall rains bring out the best in the tree fungus.  Everywhere a tree has fallen from some summer storm it gets layered in odd bits and parts.   I think this one is called a turkey tail and since we have newly seen wild turkeys in our woods, I can only smile when these begin to emerge as the weather gets wetter and cooler.  I have read that less than 5 percent of the estimated 1.5 million species of fungi have been described, and their exact roles and interactions in ecosystems are largely unknown.  I know that I seem to see something new and different whenever I poke about in the woods.  How appropriate that these saprophytic organisms appear in their best form just before Halloween!



And the more the woods decorate themselves like a bordello the more the sun starts peaking instead of boldly shining through the leaves.  Almost as if he is embarrassed by the audacious flirting of the trees.  The trees know it is the last ball of the season and they want to be remembered until spring.

15 comments:

  1. You have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dressed like a bordello...ha....yes, smiles...i love the lichen and fungus...we had wild turkeys run across the road in front of us this morning too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tromp in our woods for hours and never see the amazing things that you manage to capture on camera. You have such a good eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marvelous fungii or is it just fugus. I look forward to your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A party i don't want to miss!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your colourful words sure do match the splendor of the season. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your imagery! As for fungus...it's definitely one of my blankest areas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought fungi helped to break down tree bark. eh...

    It sure is interesting to look at. I must get up off my lazy ass and get out there and get some pics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your writing
    and your choice of words.
    Oh yes
    the fungus is everywhere here
    also. Beautiful decorations..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your fungi, excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the lichens and fungi. we don't get much fall color here though unless we have an early cold snap. I'm OK with that as it also means no snow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the fall offerings are stellar!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I am going to miss those gorgeous fall colors in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very well written post. the fungus was intriguing as well as the facts you posted about them -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely entry. Here all thinks it a desert....at last. Except her, where the water still flows freely.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.