Sunday, February 07, 2016

The Yin and Yang

Winter has visited us like a tired boxer, maybe like Rocky Balboa, a bit past its prime, still looking good and able to spread white dust everywhere, but unable to go the distance, unable to make us sit up and notice for much more than twenty-four hours.   



Winter was not able to kill the weeds this time around and my work will be long and arduous as spring brings longer growing days soon.   

The hellebores are a tease calling me to get down into the mud on my knees or to sit on the cold hard brick which edges the raised bed beneath my sugar maple and squeeze off a camera shot or two while cold winds whistle at my collar and shake the blossoms gentlyThis milder weather will make them glorious against the grays but it will stress my maple because it has not had a long enough rest.

 
 It is always a trade off, is it not?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, what beautiful hellebores! The are the color of sunrises and sunsets!
    Weeds are growing here, too, but then here in our Puget Sound area, winter hardly ever is a beast. The presence of large bodies of salt water keeps us temperate.
    Lovely writing, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hellebores. I wonder if they would do down here. my maple is already blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, and i'm sorry winter was not able to be full and cold (as difficult as cold is for me) and do the job it was intended to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trade off ! Yes, but we don't know how it's going to turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to look up hellebores and learned they are easy and pretty and have a place in every landscape. Sounds like my kind of plant.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.