Wednesday, September 08, 2010

CPR But Not Mouth to Mouth...Eeewww!




We found this little fellow in the crab trap the other day.  Crab traps are supposed to have turtle excluders, and ours does, but this diamond-back terrapin got caught somehow.  We estimate he was held under water for perhaps 5 hours.  This looked like a dead terrapin, but hubby is stubborn and watched and saw a tiny movement....



Here is hubby giving CPR after clearing the water inside his lungs by holding him head down for a little bit.  Hubby would gently press on the back carapace and then wait about 30 seconds or so.  (We could have checked on the Internet for proper procedures, but time was of the essence.)




After about ten minutes of this process the turtle lifted his head and sucked in air. (I think he was also smiling.)  While he remained very lethargic, although degrees of lethargy are hard to determine in turtles/terrapins, he continued to lift his head and breathe in air every once in a while while hubby continued the CPR.




Once we determined he was definitely alive but still weak, we kept him in a cooler on the deck overnight with a little fresh water and some fish food. He was definitely too weak for release that evening.  By sunset he had pooped!  Those of us who have raised children know this is a good sign.


When we checked on him the following morning, he responded as all terrapins and turtles should respond, with total introversion of every appendage.  (Go Away!)


We released him into the grassy edge of the river and he was extremely happy.  He tucked under a stick and would pull his head above the water's surface every once in a while.  We went to check out crab traps and upon our return just a minute later he had disappeared into the river.  Hubby saves another life!

24 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo! I am so happy for him (the turtle) and I know he is glad....

    My word verification is wormof ( worm of)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:01 PM

    This is GREAT!! I love that you both did this for him <3 We are definitely 'cut' from the same cloth! Tell you husband GREAT JOB! In my books he is a legend!
    xxm

    LOL my word verification is
    be(a)tific
    I added the (a) cos that is how I am after reading the post...one big happy smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea! Lucky turtle, serendipitous rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww...marvelous job saving his life...too many would have just discarded him...says a lot about your heart...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so kind and caring. On behalf of a turtle-mom somewhere, thank you for taking these measures for this dear little creature..and by sharing the knowledge, we all now know how to do CPR on a turtle.

    You just never know when that valuable skill might come in handy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my second turtle rescue story I have heard today! I am so glad! Glad that both have been rescued and have a chance at life in the sea!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have me smiling this early morning. Your hubby is the greatest. Then Tabor is also.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you and your hubby have just earned your way into heaven! Thanks for this wonderful and uplifting post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My comment I posted last evening evaporated into thin air with something like a "505 error, server is not available".

    Anyway, I wanted to say - 'I love happy endings'.

    And MY word verification was (honestly) breater, where if you just add the "h" you get breather. Very appropriate, I thought.

    But, now my word verification is "amesse". So much for that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a really great story. I think it had everything a story should have, including a great telling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It would never have occurred to me to attempt to save the turtle. Bravo to your spouse for what he did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a four "aw" post - my boyfriend even asked if something was wrong. You guys rock - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet story, Tabor. You and your big-hearted hubby have great compassion for God's creatures. Well done!
    Love the photos..and especially love the happy ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's a bunch of good karma he can go out and spend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, this warms my heart so much.
    you guys are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful and heartwarming deed. Thank you both so much for caring as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "I Brake for Turtles"

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous8:56 AM

    Well done! What a delightful life you saved too...

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's the best story! It just made my day. You and your hubby are tops in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, and congrats on POTW!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bravo to you and hubbie! Few folks would care enough to take the time and effort he expended. Turtles are powerful totem animals. Your husband may be rewarded in an unexpected way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, delightful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This made me so happy!! Well done to you both! I think if he could have your husband would have given him mouth to mouth...!
    Please come and visit me at my history blog - it's about St. Nicholas - another man known for rescue operations!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.