Monday, December 05, 2011

Tiny Swimmer

I could not wait for the light to get bright enough so that I could make my way down to the dock and personally greet the still morning.  Sitting in the house and hearing the heater kick on and off was not soothing to my soul.  The fog was extra heavy as it hung close to both edges of the river denying the sun its pink light as it does most mornings this time of year.  Birds were singing as if it was spring even though the temperatures hung in the low 30's F.  Since there was no wind, it was very comfortable.


I had on my heavy dark gray down coat covering my Jennifer Lo animal print flannel PJs.  Thus I looked much like a tree trunk as I carefully navigated the path toward the dock.  I had to really pace myself when I learned that the dock was covered with slippery frost hidden from the eye.


Our resident bald eagle flew high over this section of the river on his way to better waters for the morning meal, and, although I remained still as the water watching him, I could swear he spotted me as he glanced down my way.  He seemed to "eagle eye" me with a tilt of the head, shocked at my wardrobe.


I didn't take many photos but just watched the morning stretch and open its way into the world.  Eventually, off to my right, I saw a small dot swimming toward me.  


The swimmer was steady and focused, and of course, I had the wrong lense!  I was hoping to capture the big picture.  As it finally cruised closer I recognize that it was a gentle bufflehead duck, our smallest diving duck.  Because of the fog, I could not see the green and purple gloss of the head, but the white patch was a distinctive identifying mark.


These birds are extremely wary and impossible to photograph without a telephoto lens, but this diver did not notice I was human and came just close enough for this grainy photo with my regular lens.  I did look a little like a fatter version of one of the dock pilings, and thus he was fooled.  He scooted past onto the next dock where he spent several minutes diving and flapping in the smooth waters eating something just beneath my neighbors boat lift. 


I eventually tired of standing so still and as I moved slowly back up the dock toward coffee, he immediately recognized my movement and headed out and away beyond sight.

31 comments:

  1. It is wonderful to imagine being there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love awaking to the water. Fog, cold or however. This weekend, lots of rain, fog, cold - yet lovely. I appreciate your photos and wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful serene morning capture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice...sounds like a really serene moment with the fog..the eagle and the little swimmer...very cool...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So other worldly and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you went out in disguise so you could photograph him for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love these photos, especially the dock. gorgeous! looks like you're in a wonderful spot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool about the bufflehead but that first photo is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a gorgeous shot - and I have to add that I was amused at the thought of you as a dock piling! Super post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:05 AM

    Congratulations on your POTW! I don't know which I like more: the beautiful header photo, the photo of your dock in the morning fog, or the written imagery of such a soul-soothing morning. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The light in that first photo is fantastic! Thanks ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous5:55 AM

    He's VERY cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my first visit to your wonderful blog! I love the first photo.. very dreamy..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad the eagle didn't spot the tiny swimmer.
    Came over from Hilary's place.
    Lovely post.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a fabulous morning! congrats on your POTW! well-deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A misty morning can transform any scene. Lovely captures.
    And congratulations on your POTW.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! That first photo is stunning! And I love your little swimmer, too. Congratulations on your POTW award!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sweet. Lovely photos that help describe this brief encounter. Congrats on potw!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Precious series with a fantastic atmosphere.
    The first picture is spectacular.
    Congratulations on your POTW.
    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  21. nice thoughts as you enjoyed this beauty

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stopped over from Hilary's ... that first photo is awesome as is your writing. I'll be coming back here!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A special place indeed! You captured magic in your first photo. Worthy of being framed.

    Congrats on POTW honours!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That dock photo is magic.
    Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That dock photo in the mist was magical. You sure did the right thing keeping still to photograph that little duck too - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an amazing scene, that first photograph should win an award somewhere - the poles look to be levatating from out of nowhere. Love your description of the morning, and the thought of you swaddled only in a coat over your pj's (smile).

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous pictures. Love that first one especially... SO--there was one tiny little duck out there doing its morning swim... Where were his brothers and sisters? Still sleeping maybe!!!! ha

    Hope you have a very Merry Christmas.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  28. The images are gorgeous - wish I had been there to share the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I too feel like I was right there, seeing what you saw. These are spectacular. I haven't gotten out much lately and I forgot how pretty winter can be.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.