Sunday, October 19, 2014

An Autumnal Respite

It was a fall day almost too warm for my long-sleeved T-shirt.  I welcomed the breeze from across the lake as it cooled my back and also scattered leaves like dyslexic butterflies everywhere.



I had to carefully share the trail with bikers who were determined to recreate the Tour de France in these East Coast Woods.  The layers of sand and pine needles hid their fast approach.  I could smell coconut oil as they whizzed by while I hugged the edge of the trail.  Then I would get another 20 minutes of quiet peace.


There were other dangers as the tall oaks and beech trees threw their wares making popping sounds and with inaccurate sighting they just missed my head.  The ground was covered in smooth missiles.



I complained just a little for the obstacle course that had been thrust my way and the woods were all ears in sympathy.

The walk was 7.5 miles over tree roots, across compacted clay, trails of sand and even a mud puddle or two.  The background music was the sharp call of the jay and a rare hawk high in the blue sky.  If I was very still I even heard one lonely cricket.  Mid-way I stopped for a light lunch on a damp log and looked up at the light show just above my head.



I did find a few treasures which I will post in the future.

12 comments:

  1. I can't wait, beauty on beauty, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely walk! The bikers may be out for exercise, but they should slow down a bit and enjoy the view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I wish I had such a beautiful place to walk. I believe those are lichen on the log -- if they are do you know which kind? You caught some beautiful photos along your walk. Sitting on the log, eating a packed lunch in such quiet splendor would be fantastic. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful clear day. You sure found a lovely spot for your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting treasures today. Good on you for getting out and walking 7 miles in a beautiful land.

    ReplyDelete
  6. smiles...you found some beauty out there today...was really cold today...about 30 degree drop from yesterday....we were out quite a bit both days enjoying the mountains....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:05 PM

    What a glorious day for a walk! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. a light lunch on a dead log around here would get your nether end covered in chigger bites. but yes, a beautiful walk even if you did have to dodge bikers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lunch on a log. puttering through the woodlands...finding beauty....recording in photographs...memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photo! Really you did a wonderful walking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This ties in nicely with your other post that encourages people to walk. Maybe you should have linked over to this one to let people know how the beautiful nature can be an encouragement. :) Aside from potentially getting run over by cyclists, the walk is perfect. Thanks for sharing your photo journal and poetic views.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.