Sunday, June 06, 2010

Resiliency


Resiliency. I try to remember that animals have resilience.  Two weeks ago I left the sad news about the oil spill and its toxic claim on beaches, estuaries, coastlines and ocean life and headed outside to ease my heavy heart.  I needed the good news of a warm spring day to assure me that Mother Earth was continuing her natural way.  As I was on my knees, as if in supplication to Mother Earth and asking her forgiveness for mankind's greed, I focused my camera on the many new white mushrooms that were dotting the edge of my lawn.  Just above my head I heard lighthearted birdsong and looked up to see this juvenile titmouse singing with such energetic youthful joy while perched on the cage that protects the hardy kiwi plant.

I think he was singing, "I can fly!  I can fly!  Mom, look!  I can fly!"


He looked at me with what could only have been the silly self-confident smirk of a young one and then with such ease flew up into the nearby tree knowing full well I could not join him.  Mom must be very proud at this spring graduation ceremony.  (Of course, now he really begins to get into trouble!)  As always, you can click on the photos for a closer view.

13 comments:

  1. with freedom comes responsibility...and i think i used to get ain a bit of trouble as well after i made it off the ground...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful picture and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tabor, what a lovely photo! i rarely get the chance to do exactly what he's doing...just throw my head back and sing as loudly as i can! your photograpy is stunning and you seem to take great care in getting such perfect shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh if only!! Flying would be awesome. Beautiful pics
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even the littlest of birds can be inspiring--as can you. The photos are wonderful, Tabor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tabor, I read your post about the double boiler --but I wanted to comment on this one. Doesn't hearing the birds singing just put the heartaches of life in perspective? I'm glad you got out... I've been stuck here in the house for about a month now (with this knee problem) --and let me tell you that TV can make one very depressed. I cry every single time I see those oil-filled birds. Just breaks my heart.

    But then---a little birdie will come out on our deck and just sing and sing. THAT makes me smile.

    Your photos of the Titmouse are GREAT.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right. We have just witnessed a resurrection, so know what you mean. A cherished bougainvillea in apot, which had shown every sign of having succumbed to our weather long before the harsh winter, so much so that we had stopped watering it, has unexpectedly burst into life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post and picture.
    As my day comes to a close - you put a smile on my face. Some days when I am outside working in my garden by the woods - I throw back my head with a smile on my face and am so thankful for being able to return to my land.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the thought that Mother Nature is reminding us of her resilience, courage and strength through the little song of a beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You never fail to make me smile. It's in how you view, love and respect the nature which surrounds you. This little guy is adorable with his still fluffy face. I'm seeing so many juveniles around me too and they do indeed have a way of making me feel like all is right with the world.. even when it isn't. Still.. nature will prevail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:52 PM

    Nice Pics. I was a serious amateur until the digitals came out. I miss doing what you do. Do people still do film pictures? I don'y know.

    I can't stand to watch the birds on the Gulf coast. It is unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Imagine being able to fly!!

    Talking of resilience:
    Some pro-oil people are trying to convince us that because oil is just gloopy fossilized-leaf-gunk it's somehow not as terrible as it looks... well having seen those pelicans I'm seriously NOT convinced...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tabor, your pictures capture his spirit so beautifully.
    I love the little titmice. Ours have gone somewhere else at the moment and I miss them.
    Isn't their song delightful?

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.