Monday, April 25, 2011

They Are Moving On Up!



Seems that my osprey couple found a fancier home on the more luxurious section of the river and that meant a more expensive boat.  This boat belongs to the lottery winners who are also my neighbors and since it is spring break I think my neighbors are on travel...in Rome perhaps?  Their loss and their unfortunate gain!  Actually this is like watching a horror film because this hawk couple (while certainly ignorant of civilization) cannot endure another eviction this late in spring.  I am sure that come the beginning of the next week when my neighbors are returning for the start of their girls' school session, all hell is going to break loose.  This is such a delicate situation in that it is against the law to move these guys off if they have laid eggs!  Although I think if you throw enough money at something it is not a problem.




As I walk out across my dock to check the sunset and to see if the baitfish are filtering in each evening, the female osprey throws a warning call in my direction and begins her wing flapping.  Clearly she looks at me as the grizzly of the waters.  It is a nicer boat, guys, but sometimes your reach may exceed your grasp!

9 comments:

  1. ugh...hope they dont throw the money and evict the couple...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely .... even with all that lottery money .... they won't harm the nest!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you know a lottery winner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping they are safe - but then many people do not think like you and me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chain yourself to that boat, woman, and protect this couple!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guess greed has a way of doing all of us in -- even birds)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best use ever of a boat like that. May the ospreys win the right to stay there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh My Goodness... What a gorgeous boat... Too bad the Ospreys can't find something more permanent for a home. I'm sure those 'rich' neighbors will find a way to get the Osprey nest off of their boat.. Gosh--what a problem. Hope your community can get a new home built for them...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. you'll let us know what happens?

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.