Monday, March 11, 2013

"More than his belican."

There are eight living species of this odd gangley bird. Half of the species nest on the ground and the other half nest in trees. They have been around for 30 million years. I think these below are brown pelicans. They can soar up to 10,000 feet (with up to a 6.5 foot wing span) and usually fly in colonies. Like many water birds when you see them moving their bills over their backsides they are preening to release oil from glands to improve waterproofing of their feathers. They are monogamous and can live up to 25 years in the wild, longer in captivity. They eat mostly fish but have been seen eating other birds, reptiles. crustaceans and even small dogs. (Hide that chihuahua!) In mythology the pelican could be found on funeral walls to ward off snakes and provide a safe passage to the underworld for the dead. My photos are not great...shooting into the sun...but I did not have a say in where I was moving!  You may ask if I could smell it in the last photo and I must admit...yes.


19 comments:

  1. I always enjoy taking photos of the pelicans. I probably need to drive down to Avila Beach where they like to hang around the wharf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool and unusual birds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures and great birds. For eons in the we've had white pelicans nesting in the areas intersected by the Columbia and Snake Rivers but the last few years for the first time we have brown ones too. The explanation I was given was the changing climate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think they are pretty amazing birds...pelicans are just cool looking...did not know their history though....

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures filling up my screen are great. Interesting birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are glorious birds. To think that have been around for 30 million years is increfible. Brown pelicans were on the US endangered list but I believe most of them have recovered and are know delisted? -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous shots. And one of my favorite limericks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got some great shots. Mine are never that good, and often unrecognizable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. DDT almost did them in, at least down here. When we first started going to the beach 50 years ago we saw them and then they disappeared. But now they have made an astonishing comeback. They started showing up maybe 10 or 15 years ago and now they are ever present again, flying in groups. They are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think those shots are awesome! Thanks for sharing them with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These guys put on a good show for you. I'd hate to be the guy who owns the boat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Your pics are amazing!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  13. How dare you say your photographs are not great. Your photos are spectacular!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would be more than satisfied with your photos. It always amuses me to think of them nesting in trees. Somehow it doesn't seem appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful Pelicans, cheers Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous2:45 AM

    Wow - these shots are stunning! Love the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gangly, I love. Your pictures I adore. Superb post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OK... Now I'm really impressed! These are terrific action shots. Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.