Thursday, July 02, 2020

Summer Storms

I thought I was up early and had beat the sun, but upon inspection, I saw it was after 7:00 and not sunny.  The morning seemed unusually cool and when I looked out my deck door I saw intermittent cloud cover to the East.  I was going to check the weather on my portable technology when I heard that distant growl of thunder high overhead.  The frogs were performing their choral celebration in the woods, a sure sign that rain was on the way.  Their light-hearted chirping was worth a smile.  The air smelled new.

Add caption

A change in plans for outdoor work was being imposed upon my day.  I would have to transplant those geranium cuttings into pots on the deck another day.  They were very late anyway and I could wait for the effusive blooms in fall.  My mums were blooming crazy this week and these geraniums may be the only color I get come September.


As the morning moved forward the thunder became more threatening.  The sound was distant and vast and powerful as summer thunderstorms can be.  July is such a drama queen. Within an hour, I heard that pelleting of rain on the skylights.  We needed it and my yard welcomed it.  It was one of those heavy storms with little wind and intermittent deluges of water that fell straight into the arms of the trees, down the troughs of the bark and into the welcoming ground.


I could not do much outside so went to my reading corner with my current e-book and second cup of coffee and glanced out the windows every so often to see how Mother Nature was doing with her petulant child, summer.  These storms give me an excuse to be lazy and cozy.  If they go on too long I find some postponed projects indoors that need doing, such as cleaning off my messy desk or baking some caloric filled dessert with all the fresh fruit of July.  (The peaches are wonderful this year.)

These heavy summer storms are somewhat peaceful in spite of their noise and bravado.  They are restorative and reassuring.  Seasons are not put on hold by tiny viruses.

10 comments:

  1. The first photo does have a good ominous vibe.

    Peaches are good this year here as well. I saw an upside down cake made on the Great British Baking Show, that I will try to tweek using pecan carmel sauce and peaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have similar weather this evening. The humidity is gone and it is cooler. Yay!

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do love the fresh fruits of summer. I bought another big bag of dark sweet cherries today, and our small raspberry patch is beginning to produce big red berries.
    Our weather has turned cool, cloudy, with occasional light showers. The word around these parts if that summer doesn't start until after July 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like a good thunderstorm with lots of thunder and lightning. Yes things smell much better after a thunderstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's just downright hot and humid and pressing outside here. the next two months are going to be ferocious. we got 6 ½" of rain a week ago and the ground is already dry and cracking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One thing that I miss about other places where we have lived is a good old fashioned thunderstorm. Here in the Willamette Valley of Oregon they are rather rare. Our prolific rains come without the drama!
    Your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here i am a fan of rain only if it knows when to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tiny? Lovely lake indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds so lovely written out like that. We are in drought here in southwestern MA. Happy to be back in blogland, catching up on old friends :)

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.