Saturday, December 11, 2021

A Bird in the Hand or Six in the Bush

The mornings this time of year are much quieter. The birds do not waste energy claiming their domain. (Except for the two crazy cardinals that routinely bang their heads against my windows.)  Instead, you have to listen for the quiet turning of crispy leaves as birds search for an overwintering insect or two.


The woodpeckers are the noisiest as always, and sometimes I can get a two for one with my camera...even if blurry.




The Cedar Waxwings come in so swiftly, eat their very select version of holly berries and then disappear again for days on end.  It has to be a bitterly cold day for them to visit my birdbath.  These are the best I could get through the window as they would fly if I stepped outside.


Hard to see above, but there are at least six Waxwings chowing down.  It is like one of those picture puzzle memes.


The Bluebirds, on the other wing, are groupy and busy, and hang around for a bit.  They know they are beautiful and overwhelm the house finch that usually own the birdbath.

There are some days where I am surprised by a distant visitor.  This one landed on the osprey nest and kept getting his talons entangled in the thick grasses that have grown due to the fertilization of dead fish parts.  At first I thought he was an immature red-tailed hawk...




But no, it is an immature bald eagle. We have a nest or two just up the river.

12 comments:

  1. These are impressive finds. The waxwings you can sort of see if you count moustaches.

    How amazing to see a whole group of bluebirds. We have them but it's a special treat to see them. And well spotted with the bald eagle. They're unmistakable as adults but I doubt if I could id a juvenile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't test my eyes looking for the waxwings...I'm waiting for a new set of glasses and wearing my old ones, which are only comfortable for a little while, and pretty limited for details. Loved the blue birds, the eagle and the 2 woodpeckers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The waxwing pic was so darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those bluebirds are gorgeous. Love waxwings too. Great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And you've got lots of birds in the bush.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for these wonderful bird photos. What a wealth of visitors you have in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wax wing photo is amazing. Your area variety is a pleasure to see. So many blue birds in one place is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great series of pictures. A Pileated Woodpecker is always a special sighting around here. They are not especially uncommon, but for a large gaudy bird they are very adept at keeping out of sight. Iy's encouraging to see that young Bald Eagle too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent pictures. The waxwings migrate through here, hanging around for a day or three while they strip whatever those bushes are of its berries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are some very beautiful birds that visit, it must be a joy to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that picture of the Cedar Waxwings! A great jigsaw puzzle... Fun for the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, just delightful. Yes, with my one eye, I had trouble finding the waxwings, and you could have heard me laugh when I found them. Silly me. Love these birds in your yard. We have a few finches and a family of crows. That's about it.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.