Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Just Excellent Part V

Some of my readers are wondering about the twilight saga that was taking place in my river this spring. The two osprey did finally settle down and began bringing sticks and small bunches of grass to the platform along with the garbage that they think adds to decor!  Their nest is new so it does not look like the traditional heavy mess of most osprey homes.  Over the years as they add detritus, it will get the lived-in look of total chaos, much like our yards and homes do over time. 

They sat for many minutes on the platform surveying the river two weeks ago and finally her "50 shades" dance captured his heart and they consummated the partnership in broad daylight. 


Another six or so days came and went while they visited the nest regularly bringing a stick or fish, but they did not stay too long at any one time.   They were whistling and flying elegantly over our yard on the windy spring afternoons.  Then yesterday, she started sitting on the nest for longer periods of time which possibly means she has laid one to three eggs.  I cannot get closer...even walking down to the dock disturbs her brooding, so I am being polite and trying to stay in the back yard with my photos and so none of them are very good!




Once the little ones are hatched all bets are off, because I know that our boating activities and my sunset photography are not going to drive her off anywhere and I hope to get better pictures.

They are messy birds and the end of my dock is dotted with white droppings as they sit on a snag in the evenings above that area.  I do not mind, but I am sure some of my neighbors wonder why I would provide rent free residence to such noisy and messy neighbors.




There may be more drama this spring as I have read that bald eagles will sometimes drive the osprey out of the area.  As you know we have a bald eagle nest just on the other side of the peninsula.  Guess we will wait and see if any drama ensues.  This place has more drama and sex than many movies I have seen!


Taken on a windy day in a moving canoe!!



9 comments:

  1. Truly amazing!!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...more than a movie...smiles...i am glad you provide the space because it does come with some pretty cool pics....

    ReplyDelete
  3. your last line made me laugh. the photos are splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just excellent indeed. I never knew they built nests this way, and I find it fascinating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a regular Peyton Place for birds there. Wonderful watching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your interest and recording of information about these birds is interesting Tabor. Keep up the good work - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to have a report on the progress of the Osprey's nesting. The story is becoming more exciting with each update. Wish you could grab a peek to see the eggs and I truly admire your restraint.

    That bald eagle in the tree had to be an exciting sight to behold.

    Love, love your nature tales!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, I love what HIlary said!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw my first Osprey nesting in Florida as I was passing through. Stopped to have dinner with my daughter's boyfriend's family and they pointed it out to me. Big bird!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.