Saturday, October 13, 2012

Bumbling

I have attracted hundreds of bumble bees to my yard this summer.  Lots of other bees and pollinators as well, although very few honey bees.  Our honey bees come from Europe originally, and perhaps our diet is just too rich for them because they are disappearing like snowflakes on a late spring day.  Beekeepers are studying their demise with much concern.

Click on photos for close-ups.

Many of the fat bumblers are still lingering as fall arrives to catch nectar from the last of the cosmos, zinnias, celosia, lavender, sage and their real favorite, a variegated "cat mint" shrub.  Some, just like us, wear their groceries on their hips.


They no longer buzz noisily as I pass and their darting is more like heavy floating from blossom to blossom.  They actually look a little drunk when in reality they are just cold.  


In the early colder mornings as I pass they rest covered in dew, comatose on the blossoms.  I think they look as if some craft person has stuck them there for decoration.  The bumblers are different in appearance if you are not afraid to look closely.  Some dressed in shiny black bottoms and others a yellow furry coat all around.


And some I have discovered have attitude!



16 comments:

  1. haha just watch out for the ones with attitude....lol...perhaps they want just a bit of privacy...smiles...nice pics....have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these photos! You capture the interesting parts (pollen on the legs, the shiny face) so well. I also love how they drift instead of buzz this time of year. Mine love Mexican sage the best now. Some years ago I had a couple of Bluebeard caryopteris, and when I'd go out in the mornings, they would be covered in sleeping bees.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Great photos!! Yes some do have attitudes. Don't like observers! Ha
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. We see tons of these around here. Love the last shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my.. these are beautiful photos.. such luscious colours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a set of eyes on the last one! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great, fun photos and text!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think bumble bees would be my favourite insect Tabor. The ones here also seem to have attitude but they don't mind being studied so long as one doesn't get too close. Then they fly away. Good photos - Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with the bees - I, too seem drunk when I'm just cold. Well, that's my story!

    Lovey images, but a great worry, their demise. let's hope...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you get stung?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not one sting. Have never been stung at this house yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bumblebees certainly are busy in my wild field along with tiny flying bees and a variety of wasps. All feeding on wildflowers in a frenzied like state. I'm thinking time is approaching for the "last supper" rites. Nice photos. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm impressed by the one in flight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! Those are AMAZING photos! Well done!
    I just learned this morning (I chaperoned my kids' classes to the pumpkin farm) that a pumpkin flower needs to be pollinated at least three separate times by a bee in order to turn into a pumpkin. Huh! Busy little guys!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The bees and your vivid colors make me smile. Lucky you to have so many flowers blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read somewhere that companies like Monsanto were taking hives of bees from North America to Europe to pollinate contrived orchards for the purposes of developing superior fruit, resistant to the elements. While the bees were there and when they came back to North America, they were confused and the entire hive began to die. Is this really old news or recent? I am unsure. I love your buzz. =D

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.