Wednesday, March 30, 2016

One of My Favorite Places


Some people see the landscape above and think of bugs, alligators, snakes, mud and bad smells.  On the right is the bridge to Hilton Head, South Carolina.  While Hilton Head is condos, hotels, million dollar homes, golf courses, and restaurants, the place where I am standing when I took this photo is an island preserve called Pinkney.  It is a precious island of swamp, marsh grass, freshwater ponds, and hardwoods that shelter the bugs that birds eat, the baby fish that lots of things eat, the migratory waterfowl, and of course, gaters.  It is a very rich and unforgiving place.  We take our bikes and ride the miles of gravel, tree root bumpy trails.  We get down close and personal with hatching egrets, re-awakening alligators and just a few tiny bugs that annoy.  It is one of our favorite haunts in spring and is hot but tolerable in summer.


In the distance that black spot is probably a coot.  And below is my first "gater" of the season.  He was about three feet and very somnambulant.



9 comments:

  1. Looks like a great place...in the spring and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, and reminds me of our swamps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing like being in a rich natural area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful natural environment you have at your beck and call.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow....I'm such an indoor person. You see the outdoors with such a comfortable clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such rich environment to visit and close by. Love the swampy, jungly places.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love wild spots, n always seek them out. I walked through a wilderness in the state forest when visiting Miami once- So many years ago.

    Here we are lucky to see an un-built lot. The town keeps selling off the forested areas for tax money - Then they are clear-cut. I hate seeing them go-
    We have a salt- marsh near the house, but there's no way to enter it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it wonderful to be able to enjoy the great outdoors?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer places like this swamp to manicured lawns - the latter are so sterile. I was so sad in Hawaii when I visited some years back to see all the awful hotels and golf courses smothering out wondrous natural vegetation. But that is what tourists always seem to want.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.