Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Whoopee!

The weather finally holds in the 50 and 60's F and I spend backbreaking hours planting new perennials that I have purchased (Sunday mornings no one is in church these days.  They are all at the plant place!) And I am carefully dividing old perennials from years past hoping I do not kill the plant.  And I am bending and weeding circles of tiny green weeds that took the place of perennials that died over the winter. The yellow sassafras in the woods is blooming but I see only the tiniest of bees coming for nectar.




The big bumblers crash headfirst like Kamakazee pilots and upon landing shaking the cherry blossoms free of their pollen and drinking deeply of sweet nectar after the long winter's nap.


I saw the first Zebra Swallowtail last week and was amazed since it was so early, but because we have planted a number of small wild Paw Paw trees which is their primary source for laying eggs I am happy they are here.


I next will take in the bird feeders and wash them in bleach and store them until fall.  The Blue Birds are nesting in the birdhouse attached to the cheap little arbor in the front yard, and we try not to frighten them as we work around those beds.


Yep, spring is here!

10 comments:

  1. Do I see more snow coming your way?
    Just a refreshing and light post...what I needed. Especially the blue bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely signs of Spring happening to you. Not here yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. monarchs are starting to pass through here and I saw a question mark and a crescent in the last couple of days. no swallowtails though. and I love the bumblebees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you have the ambition! Gorgeous butterfly!
    Here it is raining alot, so too muddy to dig. Only the chives have sprouted so far. Just planted seeds indoors this week.
    My daughter has monarchs n milkweed to look forward too, plus Praying Mantis eggs from November last fall! Timing there was odd too. I used to hate bees, but I have changed!

    Liked your Dogwood paintings on other blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I often wonder what is happening to churches these days. We have a giant church called the Rock church filled with young folks and families. The local Episcopal Church is closed and now is the Episcopal offices. The pastor here changed the church from Episcopal to Anglican, was taken to court, and the church it'self closed. LOL The Baptist church has closed too. That's two in our church row. The Catholics seem to be doing well, but there are two Lutheran churches and one Methodist still going. At a Presbyterian church, the pastor took the congregation away to join the 4 Square church. There is a massive change in churches here while all paths lead to the Rock church.

    See what happens when you get me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spring is slow in coming to western MA this year. We get one day of warmth to five days of cold. It snowed last week and again last night just north of where I am. The daffodils and forsythia are bravely yellow but everything else is waiting...

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.