Wednesday, September 16, 2020

More Fun Surprises While Canoeing

The world is moving faster and faster in so many ways. Maybe I feel that way because I know that my time on this earth is closely limited. My activities will be reduced. My senses will not be as strong as they were. I am not bitter or angry about this. "It is what it is" to quote a famous dictator. 

My canoe trips will eventually be exchanged for car trips or shorter walks in the woods. Maybe I feel less worried about it all because my life has been filled with experiences and they have been repeated and repeated over seven decades. Thus time seems like a long series of expected changes that renew each day which is only a short 24 hours. 

With fall approaching and the early beautiful, cool weather we have been having here, I am hopeful for tree and leaf photos which I seem to collect with abundance every year. I must admit that the cycle of life, although often repeated, never gets old. 


Blessed with another beautiful day, we took a second canoe trip a few days after my prior post, this time to the higher part of the river which runs by our house. It is a long river and actually runs most of the length of the state. We had to load a canoe onto the top of the big car once again. It was a 25-minute drive and the only available restroom near our destination (the one at the gas station) was locked.  There was a portable potty used by the local fishermen at the canoe launch site. I used it because there was probably not going to be ANY area to get out of the canoe once we were on our way...high banks and mud beaches the whole way! I did not touch anything more than the door to the porta-potty and there WAS paper on the roll.  Then I got ready for about 4 hours of canoe paddling after not breathing inside the facility and later wiping my hands thoroughly with sanitizing wipes, and soon we were off in the quiet of the morning.


The fall flowers were in abundance and reminded me that native plants are so important to our environment as the connection for insects and animals. More important than the pretty exotics that everyone buys at the garden outlets and plants in their yards.











I saw a few bald eagles which surprised me because we were rather far up the river away from the more open water and the waters were brown and clouded by the recent rains. The eagles seemed healthy and full of food. 


Fall was just beginning to show her color as well, even though the day was warm.



Hubby is a "gunk-holer" which means no narrow side finger of water should go unexplored as we paddled up the main corridor even when fallen trees leave only a 2-foot passage into that tiny side finger of water. Most explorations brought us up shortly within a hundred feet or so to face a dead-end or a tangle of unpassable crossed trees. But persistent exploration does have its rewards and we did come across one lovely hidden pocket lake that must have had at least a dozen wood ducks cowering at the far side. I could not get pictures because they flew as soon as we got close enough for photos. My wish would be to be there early just before sunrise and see what wildlife hung out. 








In the photo above, we did make it around those fallen trees down another small exploration area!  Canoes are miraculously agile.

As we turned our canoe around to paddle back to the main river, I did get a few quick photos of this brown, round fellow in a tree.  He had seen us first and he checked us out before flying off to somewhere.  Flying so very silently.



14 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great pictures. It's good to be see the outdoors with no smoke. I haven't seen even a bird or a squirrel in days. My favorite to do is to be on the water, I used to do it in a kayak, it's so relaxing and brings nature into good view. Especially loved the owl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all are thinking of you out in the beautiful West and hoping for cooler weather and more gentle rain.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful canoe trip. The side areas are as scary as they are magical. You could try watercolors from your lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i always wanted to try watercoloring...but it seems so unforgiving.

      Delete
  3. It sounds serene. You are two adventurous spirits. Keep going as long as you can. In a world in turmoil, you have carved out a bit of heaven. Good for you two! Your photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful little trip for you although I'll bet that 4 hours felt plenty big enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so lucky to have that river nearby! I've encountered more than one of those 'tangles of impassable trees' in my canoe explorations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I so enjoyed this trip you took me on today. thank you.
    Your opening thoughts really hit me. I am trying not to be bitter or angry about the physical limitations that are hitting me all to fast now. Mostly I am just sad. I wasn't ready to be this limited. Hopefully when the smoke clears and the virus is tamed, I can find a new normal that will satisfy the new limited me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Getting out in the canoe pays off big time with excellent photos. It's a good time of year to be out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How marvelous. Yes, I regret having a new stroke, and I miss striding along on the beach. Often I tell G thaat something is new, and he always seems to tell me that we did it during chemo. Perhaps its now a stroke but chemo brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby is having memory issues as well. I try to be as patient as your hubby. Could be both causes that cloud your memory.

      Delete
  9. What a lovely way to explore, and i hope you do not see an end to such adventures too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tabor, I hope all is well with you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed sharing your canoe trip with you Tabor. Since Irv passed away, my own canoeing ventures have been few and far between, and I miss them so - I loved reading about yours.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.