Friday, November 06, 2020

Autumn Reflections

The world goes around and even though it seems more slowly in 2020, I still am a bit dizzy from the various side whirls that it creates this year.  Escape is ever-present on my shoulder whispering sweet nothings into my ears.  She pulls at my earlobe and breathes sweet autumn air under my collar.  With persistence, she has forced me to shed my concerns and sadness, and apprehensions in an ashen pile like discarded rags at my feet.  I must be careful to step over them and not trip and fall flat-faced into reality.

Each day is a new opportunity to see a different angle of light and tone of respite and new possibilities.  Each day is another open start.  I accept that and drop my shoulders in resistance.  There are hidden paths to quiet and peacefulness.


I am restored by outdoor meet-ups with family.  Our faces remain camouflaged, but I see twinkles and sparkles in their eyes.  Some eyes are too young to focus on the long-range of things.  Other eyes are cautious and penetrating when not distracted by the daily interruptions of technology.  




The Bible says something about lilies in the field and their unworried lives, but I am compelled to notice the birds in the woods who are preparing for winter as they do every fall.  They also do not concern themselves with other issues.  Yes, they watch for that hungry hawk and they study the lack of movement in that cat-shaped shadow behind the oak tree trunk, but they move on in balance and accept that life moves on as well.  Maybe we are all part of a plan?





May your autumn drag you outside to see how the world goes on in spite of mankind's desire to be in control.






15 comments:

  1. My pups and I are loving being drawn out into this autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ours is over, at least the colourized aspect for the most part. We are enjoying some very mind weather, however,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you can still get out to enjoy the season - and your family. I always find the sight of a bird gives my spirits a lift. Yours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoughtful post and as always, great photos. I think we too have a place in the winding out of things. I think we may think we are more important than we are and mother nature will surely thump us some more for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice...and I'm definitely making the plan to go to the woods tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What you make me think is that there are very many things going on in August.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic photos. The grandkids and the parents keep us going these days when we can see them occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful post.
    Autumn did drag me outside today. It was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, not here. It's pouring rain and I do like being dry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are not in control. Every storm this year proved it. Nature is beautiful, and can be refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photographs of wildlife, nature and your loved ones . I don't know if it is my imagination but people seem to be trying very hard during this pandemic to focus on the natural world, which reassures because of its power and permanence.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:23 PM

    Well now these are the nice birds. Although the vultures do a good job cleaning up carcasses! I love watching the birds. I have to sit outside for at least an hour a day to keep my peace. When I get too old, I guess I'll have to sit by a window inside...lol Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  13. Autumn’s temps here have become a bit colder and we finally received some much needed rain. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful post! You are such a gifted writer.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.