Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Is It Too Hot for Baby Bunnies?

My husband had decided that we need to leave larger patches of clover in our lawn for pollinators.   Lawns are now considered food deserts for all the necessary insects in our lives.  It also means less lawn to mow.
This spring I have found a new visitor hanging out in both the front and back yards, and I am sure it is due to the patches of clover.  All of these photos were taken from our bay window...which needs washing.  I was also handholding my telephoto.





'

I went outside to see if I could get closer but...Above---now you see me, now you don't!

I went back inside and the skies opened up in torrential rains. As the rains diminished later in the afternoon my interloper hopper returned.   I watched from the window as he/she began to nip at my pink muhly grass---newly planted this spring.  At first, I was dismayed but saw that he/she was only removing the dried grasses at the base and not destroying the plant.







He/She disappeared into one of the patches of clover. Nest building?? You can barely see the ears and the clover is not that high.  It must be a 'she'.  But she does not look pregnant.



The rabbit left after a while and I went outside to inspect the handwork the next morning.  There was a flat plop of some gooey mud and then a very tight ball of the dried grasses nearby.  When I gently lifted the ball there was a small hole in the ground.  OK, time for some research because I have no idea what that mud patch is?

I will not write about how cute baby bunnies are and how destructive.

10 comments:

  1. Bunnies! Great photos.
    Mud patch sounds like a door, stop rain from flooding the den once it dries adobe style. New to me it is.

    Given to me as a gift, a cute bag with clover like plant seeds. Nice plant, filled out well. One morning it was nibbled to the ground. I laughed. The rest that grew was left alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both mother and grand ma pulled clover. Bunnies...I had a kitty that ate them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bunnies are cute, no question ~ they do have a habit of eating that which you wish they wouldn’t, though. We had a neighbor who loved the bunnies, and had developed quite a “following”, but the bunnies didn’t restrict themselves to the food he put out for them, and many of us neighbors saw our plantings disappear. We politely asked him to stop, and after a few months ~ no bunnies. Of course, we have coyotes, hawks and other predators, so maybe it wasn’t just the lack of food :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rabbits provide some entertainment and wonder. I’ve only ever seen one rabbit on this island.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have wild rabbits here but they have never nibbled our garden. There must be some other source of food. I confess our previous cat was a baby bunny killer. We know this because headless baby bunnies ended up on our carpet. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos to your husband for deciding that you need more pollinator habitat. I hope his example spreads to the whole neighbourhood. We too have a love/hate relationship with the rabbits who come to our backyard. They can be pretty destructive, but when I give a moment's thought to the fact that we have taken over so much of their home, my attitude softens. Right now we have babies that can sit on the palm of my hand. How can you get mad at that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got some good shots through the window.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots of the bunny. We had (have?) rabbits living in the wild space before the flood. I would rarely see them because I don't get up early enough but I would see evidence of their passing while strolling around the yard. Have not seen a rabbit or poop since the flood. We wondered if they would survive as it was water as far as the eye could see so I guess they didn't. Hopefully they ran off ahead of the rising water but if they did, they haven't returned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As with most of the creatures, we love them but not what they do to what we want to grow for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No wildlife of any sort here, but we have hawks.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.