Wednesday, October 05, 2022

Small Friends and Even Smaller Acquaintances

Our week has been all rain and much cooler weather (think Ireland) with the collision of Ian and a cold front from the north. This made me wish for spring or sun or something alive outside and not wet and bedraggled. So I will share some insect photos from last April and May. I hope they bring some beauty into your day whether you need that or not. The first one has been manipulated like an acrylic painting, of course.

One of the very earliest of butterflies.  Clearly arrived after a long struggle.  Early April.
Saw these on the walls of my house in early spring and while they look like ants, they are not.


They are praying mantis.  I had forgotten I brought in an egg case inside as a keepsake and it was lying dormant on my bookshelf until spring!  Many people love praying mantis, but they are equal-opportunity dieters, eating both good and bad insects.  I took them outside in small groups by scooping them up on pieces of paper.

Such lovely early spring arrivals and I am looking forward to spring already!  How will I make it through the winter?

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. We are happily enjoying our bit of cooler weather. The orange cosmos and confederate roses are getting ready to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cold and wet here too. The insects are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are lovely photos. I am looking forward to winter. I'm odd, I like winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating to see them small as well as in a group.
    Not to put a damper on the sunny joy, but I love soggy weather, that does not cause flooding. Rain is thought grease, idea juice, daydream dew inspiring emotions to fill our creative spirit.
    Embracing the beauty of weather can warm the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Autumn is now galloping apace, so it is not so bad to look both back and forward to spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking forward to fall but if we don't get any rain or cold weather it will be just brown. Praying Mantis are fascinating, but maybe not all over my walls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't even think about spring. I'm still trying to get my head around fall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make it through by enjoying autumn for every day it gives, then taking winter one day at a time, looking for its beauty because it's there. That's all i can do, especially in the boiling hot summer, just look for the beauty of each day wherever i find it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great series of pictures. I enjoyed every one of them, especially the young Praying Mantises. I have seen adults many times but never the young, so this was a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spring is a long away, but I can wait.
    I love the Swallowtail, excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for the successful struggle of the butterfly. I pray to be kept away from praying mantis like those.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.