Saturday, June 17, 2023

Fred and Ethel Version 2023

At least one of my faithful readers was holding my promise of a Fred and Ethel post to the deadline. So today I will return to our osprey neighbors.  The very first time I posted on this family was in March of 2009.  You can go HERE in the way back machine to read it if you are even remotely interested.

In May of 2017, I did post on the "first family" that resided on the local osprey nest we had provided.

By 2021 the nest had become so filled with sticks and fish detritus that grasses started to grow on the platform.  That was the year that the geese discovered the possibility of nesting.  Since they arrive approximately two weeks before the osprey returned from down south, the geese were well settled and sitting on eggs and impossible to remove by diving osprey.  That year the osprey built a nest in a nearby tree.

This went on for a few years and then this year we hired a young man to clear off the platform entirely.  That I posted about HERE.  When the geese returned they were shocked to find their home had been burglarized and realized they needed new digs.


Thus the world returned to normal as I watched the osprey begin to build a nest again when they arrived near St. Patricks day right on time.  They did not seem like the Fred and Ethel I knew and I wondered if this was another younger couple.  They were awkward in nest building, awkward in mating and I was worried they might not be successful.

But I was wrong.  After weeks of sitting ever so patiently through hot sun or heavy storms and being reprieved by her mate in the late afternoon when she herself went off to hunt for food, the nest was successful!




Patience and then even more patience.  We can learn from these osprey.


It seems that there are two little ones that have hatched and are awkwardly moving in the center of the nest while Ethel stands to the side and watches for danger or Fred returning with food!  You may have to click on the photo to see the two little heads so well camouflaged by the nesting materials.





8 comments:

  1. Osprey are such good parents. The little ones are super adorable. Good pictures. I can see one chick in the first nest photo. Melts the heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's wonderful! We don't ever get to be up close and personal with our Whidbey Island osprey. Thank you for this great update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great capture of the two young ones in the nest. We are waiting to see the young in the local Osprey nest along the boardwalk. No sign of them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad the osprey were successful. One of these might have been raised on that platform in previous years, if it's not the same couple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ospreys are an awesome bird to watch. I never get tired of seeing the straight down dive for fish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great synopsis and update.

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad to hear the nesting was successful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Things right themselves over time and you now have two Osprey to watch over. My favourite bird is the Curlew, its lonely and rather beautiful cry can be found up on the moors or down on the coast.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.