Thursday, October 19, 2023

Close Your Eyes

Close your eyes and drift outside as the seasons are shifting. I can smell the musty death of the fallen leaves and I can hear the acorns as they kerplunk to earth hitting both the slate stones on the path to the water and the dried leaves on the lawn. They are small and not as abundant this year, perhaps due to the small drought we have had.  Their shape is intriguing with the smooth and the rough.
The Canadians have arrived with their usual harshness, arguments, and swagger.  It is a long trip and they have lost their patience.
Sadly they remind me of the politics of our country. No compromise, just arguing.

The crows compete for attention with their calling from high in the trees or as they fly overhead.  They are usually the noisiest.  They love fall because they can see the owls in the trees.  A single Blue Jay cries from above telling everyone that I am there, acting like the chief safety officer of our part of the woods.  

I walk down to the dock where the sun can warm my backside.
The saltbush has just started to throw its white parachute of seeds to the wind. It sometimes looks like the first gentle snowfall of the year when a breeze comes by.  It is a hardy native and grows along the roadsides as well as in the wet.



The seasons are reassuring in that whatever we do, the earth is more resilient than we think and that is both a revival and tranquilizing. Others nearby remind me that they are too busy to enjoy autumn's richness right now.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely post, the woods around you are a treasure.
    Strange, when I hear helicopters, I feel relief, safe like being rescued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helicopters are frequent visitors here, as we live near the Seattle International Airport and major traffic interchanges. Helicopters usually mean trouble for someone, or big news.
    But the crows still call, the bushtits have found the suet feeder, the chickadees and Juncos snatch seeds from the seed feeder, the hummingbirds still visit late flowers, and sunshine in the garden can make one forget troubles.
    Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure about your attitude toward Canadians. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn comes so quickly. We have Canadian geese in the canal, I hear them fly over every morning. They will be battling the storm for a couple of days as the water rushes down from the hills into the river.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.