Thursday, August 01, 2024

Please Do Not Poke the Bear

Mother Nature is like a sleeping bear. She hums and purrs and sometimes rolls over and kicks that old bee hive, but for the most part, she is clever and lets us do our thing.  She puts up with us and our greed and anger, both of which change the surface of this planet.  Between the wars and our incessant air, ground, and ocean pollution, she is probably very tired.

But I am sure she is also angry these days and our time is doomed.  My brother and a few of my high school friends live between those three fires in Colorado this week.  The smoke is filling the skies and the photos on Facebook are terrifying.  When I grew up there we did have a scare or two from floods that swept down the canyon from the mountains, but fires were not common.

My brother is using the air conditioning in his newly built "mansion" and they rarely use that in the dry west!  The smoke is not a problem but they have been cautioned about the dangers from particulate in the air.

Last night we got three emergency warnings on our TV about a pending storm with strong winds, medium hail, thunder, and lightning.  It never manifested itself as badly as the civil warnings cautioned, thank goodness.  But I did carefully go down to our dock and took the pictures below.  Mother Nature is both frightening and beautiful.




6 comments:

  1. Mother Nature truly has a way of showing both her power and her beauty. It’s unsettling to hear about the fires and smoke affecting your loved ones in Colorado, but I’m glad they’re taking precautions. The storm sounds intense, but it’s great that it wasn’t as severe as feared. Thanks for sharing these reflections and your stunning photos of nature’s dual nature.

    I have just shared a new blog post and I would love for you to check it out and give me your feedback on www.melodyjacob.com. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fries in some parts of the west are devastating. So are those violent storms in the east. So far we have escaped both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It breaks my heart, as I see our job as caretaking not abusing. We've done a terrible job and awful things are happening because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you didn't get the storms which you were warned about. Sometimes we get the warnings and have already had the thunder and lightening! The fires out west disturb me very much, as I know there are losses of many animals as well as the wild lands. Our climate change is upon us, and we must do all we can to become communities to help each other...at least that's the best I can think of for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! Mother Nature tolerates us but I fear her patience is running out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:07 AM

    It seems that every day or months now is the hottest ever,

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.