Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Soft Beginnings

The sky is blushing with excitement to start the day, but the heavy fog pulls a veil over her excited face and leaves only the clawed outline of branches in silhouette against the rosey sky.  The air is heavy with water and warmer than usual.  I can hear the mist collecting on the few remaining leaves hundreds of feet over my head and then rolling to the leaves' edges and falling with abandoned effort to the forest floor giving in to gravity and creating a soft snapping sound.


Eventually the sun pierces through in places turning the straw, which covers newly seeded patches in the lawn, to gold.  Almost everything else is still hidden in the silk of fog.  It feels safe and comforting as if this misty blanket can protect me from anything harsh.  All the sharp edges of the end of fall have been smoothed to a soft sheen.  All is reverent and quiet.


I am compelled to take the path to the river to follow the early morning call of Canadian geese disturbed by the increasing light. Their chatter always sounds like the panic of old women at the empty bargain table going for the last treasure and is misplaced in this gray cathedral.  Their camouflage is being removed in subtle layers with each degree of the sun's climb over the southern horizon and they are wary.
The geese have heard me or seen my dangerous shadow before I am near for they are just distant fuzzy ghosts barely visible in the middle of the river heading rapidly and with magical grace to the opposite side.  For a short time it is very quiet.  I am alone.  But wait...I hear the tenuous songs of several birds in the trees.  There is the high cry of a jay above me and the song of white-throated sparrows calling from the shelter of the salt bush to my back.  Even the rhythmic tat-a-tat of the red bellied woodpecker tells me that the day is beginning with or without the sun.

12 comments:

  1. ah i loved the immersion into nature...that first picture is amazing and so full of mystery for me....we had heavy fog this morning as i drove my son to gramma's for the day....love the goose song too...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can barely remember a time you were struggling with the direction of your blog and how you were expressing yourself. Well, you have excelled beyond your wildest imagination and have thrilled us all with your words and photos. You have hit the mark. Don't change a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exactly why I am a morning person! Beautiful pictures and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your morning photos and words are a spiritual purification -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a marvelous way with words you have.
    Beautiful images to go with your special words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been foggy in the mornings here too lately but I didn't have such ethereal thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome photos to go along with a vivid description of the trees and fog.
    Amazingly huge trees there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are gorgeous photos! And what a beautiful write-up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It feels safe and comforting as if this misty blanket can protect me from anything harsh.

    I have often felt this in a forest, I know exactly what you mean. Your emotions convey the forest very well. Thanks for.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So gorgeous and peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the photos and your words.
    So peaceful
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.