Saturday, February 16, 2019

The Cloak of Darkness

Grackles are hated by many as they can arrive in large flocks and caw, caw, caw you to death. The sound is that of a rusty hinge being pushed back and forth in the wind.  I knew a little old lady in Florida who used to bang on a pot to get them out of her mango tree. Her neighbors thought the persistent clanging noise that she made with her kitchen utensils was worse than the birds calling to each other! Grackles are not Crows or Blackbirds but are actually related to members of the Meadowlark and Oriole family. If you do not look closely you will miss the rainbow of blues and purples that make up their dark effervescent cloak.



Yes, they chase away the songbirds, but everyone gets their place on this earth.

10 comments:

  1. Here it's starlings that act that way. They come in huge flocks and are noisy. They, too, have very subtle coloring, usually looking brownish/blackish because we never really see them up close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They can certainly eat a lot of seeds in a hurry. we see them mostly in the fall migration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the dark, cawing birds fascinate me. Almost all of them are very, very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yeah, they swoop down in large noisy groups. excellent shot showing their beautiful iridescence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like grackles, personally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They have personality much like watching a gang of cats flying.
    Lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recall how noisy the grackles and the starlings were.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfection Tabor, I love the Grackles, they look wide inside of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what an amazing photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love grackles and there iridescent colored feathers. When they congregate on the electric lines and talk to each other I roll down my car window just to listen to them while I sit at the light waiting for it to turn green. They are an amazining species and I did not know they they were not part of the crow family, learned something new today! Beautiful picture !!!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.