Sunday, April 14, 2019

Bargain Bins

Our growing zone gets too hot for tulips to survive. You may get 20 or 30 percent to return, but that is lucky. I wait until December and go through the bargain bins in the hardware store where they put the net bags of all the tulips at half price. They are still in pretty good shape and are usually bagged where you can see the size and color, even if mixed. I buy two or three bags, face the cold of winter and bury them in pots in both the front and back yard in December. This afternoon of bitter planting rewards me tremendously in the spring. I will try to save them through the year, but not holding out hopes. The colors are mixed but seem to look good together.  I sometimes cover the pots with pebbles to discourage hungry squirrels.







I put the bright red ones at the front walkway.



But also left a few on the deck to enjoy while we grill outside.



The blooms last more than a week if the weather holds cool and they close up like little evening purses as the sun sets.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! That's a good mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lovely, well worth the work i think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that's one sure way to get tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only I could keep flowers alive:-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never bothered with tulips for the reason that they have to be planted every year because like you, it gets too hot for them here...and squirrels. but those look so nice in pots, maybe I'll check the bargain bin this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just flat out magic...and such happy saturated color too. I carried tulips when I married G.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a good way to enjoy the beauty of tulips. We treat them as annuals too, but do spend quite a bit on our annual order of bulbs. Some of them re-bloom the next year in our Whidbey Island garden.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.