Friday, April 26, 2019

Variety is the Spice of Life

I am a big fan of variety and used to spend my free time moving furniture around my home for a fresh look. I rarely cook the same thing two weeks in a row as I like variety in my food. My husband jokes that he is surprised that I have stayed married to him as long as I have since I like variety so much.

One of my favorite spring plants is the Columbine plant which comes from the buttercup family. It used to be called Granny's bonnet and that seems easy to understand when you look at the flowers. The common name columbine is from the Latin for Dove. The species is Aquilegia (meaning eagle). I will leave you the riddle of figuring that out because this post is just about the beauty of variety. All of these bloom in my front yard, many just appeared!!




State flower of Colorado



This is our native columbine which came down from Canada.


This is a photo-painting...just for fun and variety!

14 comments:

  1. wow. so many different varieties. they don't do well down here because of our heat and humidity. I've tried several times to grow that little red and yellow native variety with little success. we do have one variety, the yellow Hinckley's columbine that naturalizes down here but again I have had no success with it, either getting it to bloom or getting it to come back. trying again this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just about my favorite flower but I had no idea there were so many varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photographs. Your yard must be stunning.
    Columbines grow wild here in Vermont. I see mostly the red ones in rocky places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love Spring flowers. I may need to visit Trader Joe's for some tulips for the house. Your garden must be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these things. I do wish that you would tell us what they were tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your read too fast. They are varieties of columbine..Aquilegia. There may be various common names, but I do not know them.

      Delete
  6. Very colorful at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many colors! If they grew here, i wouldn't mind having a few of each.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first columbine just opened. Soon we will have a variety. Columbines are so interesting because they cross pollinate, seed freely, and you never know what you'll get from self sown seedlings. Such a great plant for variety!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also one of my favorite flowers, I think the dark purple is our native aquilegia, hardly have any in this new garden but used to have lots in the old Bath garden. The foliage is so delicate as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely flowers, they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just saw a columbine plant that was a clue in Midsomer Murders. Sadly that is as close as I come to flora and fauna.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As Ellen Abbott noted, those darling little short-spurred granny's bonnets don't do well down here and I've failed over and over trying to grow the native red & yellow columbine. In IL I planted quite a few and they then had a lovely time hybridizing with each other in semi-shade. In Texas I feel lucky to have 2 surviving plants of Hinckley's columbine this spring. They're beautiful and graceful with long spurs, but no they supply no variety.
    Luckily I seldom move the furniture and eat the same thing for lunch every day so am not too bored!
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovewly garden variety of color, n painting. Here we are just beginning. I have to take joy in other's plants. This week, back to periodic rain every day 40 degree aches n pains. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.