Monday, April 13, 2020

The Primary Show-off

It is hard to take a bad picture of Mother Nature. The show-off this week is our hybrid pink dogwood tree. It sits off to the side of our front yard. Since no one but Insta-Cart drivers sees its beauty these days, I will share it with my readers.



For Christians:  "According to the story, it was the dogwood tree that provided the wood used to build the cross on which Jesus was crucified. Because of its role in the crucifixion, it is said that God both cursed and blessed the tree. ... The middle of the Dogwood flower has a tight grouping of  buds resembling a "crown of thorns.""

The wood is very hard and was used to skewer meet for cooking..."it was said that the term Dogwood could have easily evolved from the Celtic word dag, dagga, or dagwood over the years. The wooden dagge was simply a useful, pointed tool. The tight-grained wood contained no silica, so it was useful in cleaning small spaces that were easily scratched, such as in watches and jewelry. The wood is so hard that the finest weaving shuttles were made from it, and later, golf club heads. The botanical name Cornus reflects this quality, as it means horn, as in bull's horn."

My tree is at least ten-years-old and maybe a few more!  I grab my kitchen ladder and climb up it to take many of the photos. Spring is always windy, so it is hard to get the best focus.




You will note above that my camera focused on the wary Bluebird sitting on his nesting box that is on the other side of the tree instead of the flowers.



In a few days all these petals will be strewn hither and yon and only a pleasant memory. You are all in my thoughts and I am hoping you find some peace and shelter in this trying times. We will weather it!



The late afternoon sun brings out the best of its color. And after dozens of photos, I try some digital painting.



17 comments:

  1. Pink dogwood trees are so beautiful. We still have a couple of native dogwood trees here in our yard, but the fungal disease Anthracnose has been hard on them and most have died off. That makes me sad. We have replaced two with Cornus kousa, Korean dogwood, which is resistant to the disease.
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful show-off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very pretty, especially the closeup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bluebird makes me smile. Thank you
    Beautiful tree

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are lovely. I do love dogwood. We have then in nearby woodland, at the edges. The blossoms against the dark needles of the evergreens is so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blooms brighten the day Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a stunning dogwood!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these, and maybe our spring is extra long this year (or at least so it seems) to make up for not moving about very much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful. I'm giving a little dogwood tree to my son for his birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've given us a good history of the dogwood and you then tellus of its unique qualities.Awesome flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dogwoods are among my favorites, i just didn't know all that about them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's a beautiful tree. I find it unlikely that the dogwood was used for the cross as they are small trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing, Ellen.

      Delete
  12. I like these visits too. When I lived in VA, dogwood was one of my passions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I never knew that. It was Virginia?

      Delete
  13. Your garden is so pretty! You have certainly captured that with your lens and brightened our day!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.