Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Working With Change

About two weeks ago I got a notice from one of my bird groups that hummers (hummingbirds) were coming through. I washed the dust off my feeder and put it out hoping to see some. My brother in Colorado has three feeders he can barely keep filled as half a dozen visit him at his 'mountain' house all throughout the summer. Here in my state I do not see them in such abundance. I washed one of my feeders and mixed up a batch of sugar water...a cup. I am down to 2/3 of a bag of sugar and wondered if such a large amount was necessary. The feeder should be brought in at least once a week and washed thoroughly and I dump what is left of the sweetened water. The next week I made up only a 1/4 cup which should be enough for 7 days. This Coronavirus even makes viewing the feeding of hummingbirds in a more economic light! The first (and I think only one thus far) arrived!


He returned multiple times throughout the day and glugged away.



Unless he lifts his head you cannot tell that it is a ruby-throated species.  (My windows are a bit hazy with all the rain and wind!)

16 comments:

  1. He's a beauty...I have the same feeder. Last week I saw 2 hummers, but this week none. WIll change the water anyway...I keep a quart jar in the refrigerator and just fill the feeder about 1/3 full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful shot. We may get lucky and see one. The last couple of years I've had one visit most afternoons at 4! Stopping by to check the lantana and feed on insects in the evergreens. We're a bit off the beaten track for them, more are seen nearer the shore. I don't use feeders since none of my neighbors get visitors at their feeders. They're wonderful to see, thrilling little birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried one of those a few years back and the thing was empty every morning. Don't know what creature was doing that, I quit trying and never attracted a hummer. Had some at a flower bush, but not the feeder. I should try again, as my back yard security ring camera thing will catch the night stealing culprit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister-in-law has a love for the hummers. If you would like to see the number of these little birds she feeds, check out her blog:
    https://hilltoppost.blogpost.com I don't feed them but had one come to my azalea yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try the link but my PC virus would not let me use that URL. Sorry.

      Delete
  5. I haven't put mine out even though they are migrating through since I have so many flowers blooming in the yard and I do see them sipping here and there. I figure real flower nectar is much better for them than sugar water.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delight! I haven't seen a hummer for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hummers seem to prefer very specific areas. 800 mi from here in Manitoba thee are lots of hummers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hummers are wonderful little gems. Glad you got a visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful pictures
    There's a few hummingbirds around here because neighbors have feeders, and flowers. Direct sun in the backyard means changing them about every 3 or 4 days, especially when it gets hot. I have to be careful where I sit on the deck so I'm not in their flight path.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We do not have feeders, but many do, and they report having to stay on their toes to keep the hummers happy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are here but I haven’t tried to attract them. Maybe this year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7:05 AM

    I have my feeder on my kitchen counter-top waiting to remind me to fill mine. They seem to always come back sooner than I would have thought they would. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful Hummerbird, colouring is quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.