Saturday, August 14, 2021

Taking Flight

So hard to believe that this summer is almost over. With the COVID war it seems that every month is Ground-Hog Month.  Elders, such as I, who have lived a full and rich life have not had to worry or stress as much as those with children or frail relatives.  What is the worse that could happen to us...the shortening of our march to the inevitable?   The non-boomers have been stressed with days filled with juggling acts. I guess I always knew that people were wary of science and found it hard to understand, but I am totally surprised that they want to declare war against it, knowing they were certainly losing and most probably would die. 

Summer moves on in spite of mankind's hubris and my garden is messy with blooms and even messier with pollinators.  They know nothing of the pandemic and are unable to comprehend what climate change might mean.


The butterflies have all emerged as winged fairies.  They dance across the driveway from one flower bed to the next inserting amazing long tongues into parts of the flower that I can barely see!



This "might" be the pipevine swallowtail.  But if you know better feel free to correct me.



Above is the zebra swallowtail.  They lay their eggs in our pawpaw trees and we have many of both.


Everyone loves the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.  They are the true floaters in the air.


Another Tiger Swallowtail on one of my huge dinner plate-sized sunflowers.  It is so large that he can share it with one of the bumblebees.


This fellow is a skipper.  I "think" it might be the silver spotted.

 

Above could be a painted lady, but I have begun to realize that butterfly identification is truly a science more than an art.  I will leave my decision on identification to the entomological experts.


15 comments:

  1. Thank you for your beautiful photos. "Every month is Groundhog month." Ha ha. So true. Cheery on an hot, smoke filled Saturday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, Tabor, and so needed to read it today. The images are so vibrant they almost dance off the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While butterfly identification might not be an art, your photography is!
    Your garden looks so vivid and fresh. Here our gardens are looking dry and tired, even with watering. Gold is a good color now, what with the smoke filter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So absolutely vibrant and beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for great photography. It lifted my heart to see it all

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flowers and butterflies are so beautiful. Nature carries on.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last butterfly is an American Lady - as are you, I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Things really ge busy at the end of the summer. I would like to be able to identify butterflies . Nice photos with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your butterfly photos and comments. Butterflies are haphazard inr flight which makes them interesting to follow. Many I see here these days are looking battered though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice photos. It is good to see butterflies. They have been scarce this summer around this plot of land in Vermont.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's something to be said for a messy garden, especially one with such a variety of butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so beautiful, and such a comfort when people who don't understand science is a good thing get too much press.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually own a butterfly id book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not surprised. You have an extensie library.

      Delete
  14. We have quite a lot of butterflies and they switch kinds. Right now we have a whole lot of solid black butterflies swarming the property.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.