Sunday, November 28, 2021

My Backyard in the Morning


Quiet this early and dark morning except for the return of that male cardinal tapping on the formal room's window.  We call it the formal room because we rarely use it.  I live in the woods, but am never alone!

Fall is almost over.  Thanksgiving week brought some piercing cold winds that tore all those golden and bronzed and crimson leaves from the trees.  They are now caramel-colored crunchy compost across my lawn.


I get drunk on autumn every year and look forward only a little to the cold weather of winter.  Our winter is about 3 and a half months long.  Here we do not usually get the heavy snows that confine one to the house for a week.  But we also do not get that lovely blanket of white that makes everything look so cozy while sitting in front of a fire.

I participate in University of Cornell's feeder watch each winter.  We put out seeds and suet and then count the birds that dine and input data to the University.  This year our brand new suet feeder needs to be hung more carefully as the furry 'birds' have brought down the jury-rigged setup.



Yes, they are really cute and also really smart and also look so innocent.  We feed them with our blue crab leftovers and our oyster bits down by the riverside, but not the entire suet cake!  I am trying to educate them on cholesterol overload. (You have something on your nose!)

We also are visited by other four-footed creatures that love the acorns.  The acorns are everywhere in the backyard from our large oak tree.  Since MANY oak trees are now being faced with disease and death due to climate change and are a keystone species for so many insects, I watch this old warrior closely.





Above he is listening to the neighbor's big dog that has been let out for its' morning run.  We do not get as many deer the past few years, and the deer we do we do get are very shy.

My coffee is now cold and since I woke hubby early to see the raccoon he will not be up for hours more.  Must get my food shopping list done for the week, even though we have eaten too much over the holidays.  Have a nice Sunday morning and I will go read and see how you all are doing.

12 comments:

  1. Yes they are cute little masked critters! And so much trouble! Great shots of the deer as well! Have a relaxing Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos. The dock picture is beautiful. Weather patterns as they are, this winter there might be a blanket of snow or two in your yard.
    Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. You place looks pretty and fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely view out the formal window. I don't care much for winter myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your visitors! I am lucky to see jays and starlings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, I opened the hood of a car once to find a baby racoon. He was very upset, and I got to see all of his teeth. Yes, I shut that hood in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I enjoyed this post very much.
    Our new suet feeder arrived from Amazon today, and no we too have to find a way to keep the furry critters out of it, in our case, squirrels, who are very acrobatic. The knocked down the old one that we just recently starting putting up again, twice and since it was already old, is being replaced.
    WE live in the suburbs, no dear, but certainly raccoons. We used to think they were adorable. Not so much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wildlife is glorious and troublesome and amazing. Good luck setting up a feeder that defeats the 'coons and the squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We don't have racoons here yet. They can do a lot of damage. They can also be pretty nasty. I think most people like fall. We have not had any winter yet. Today was 10 C when it maybe should have been minus 10.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just when I think I have the upper hand on the squirrels at my bird feeders (the upper hand mind you, not complete victory) along come raccoons and take their place. They are bigger, stronger and far more destructive, dashing the feeders to the ground. I hope it gets cold soon and they will hibernate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute raccoons, although they are quite clever and troublesome. Very comfortable with living in close proximity to people ~ who doesn't like the occasional pizza crust or fried chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss my wild birds, though have jackdaws to watch out on. Lovely to see your wildlife in action. We have deer all over Britain, they run into their millions now but live in the wild places.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.