Monday, April 26, 2010

Real Estate War

Remember that osprey nest activity  that was taking place on the idle crane arm sitting on the barge across the river and on the top of our boat?  Well, it should come as no surprise to nature lovers that real estate is in short supply for many animals...and it appears in really short supply for those that need waterfront property!








I woke this morning to lots of chirping from the osprey in the back yard out by the river.  I looked out my window and saw this one on the roof of the boat cabin once again!  I had just spent a good part of yesterday afternoon washing and waxing this roof and was unable to remove some of the acidic calling cards left by our feathered friend, so was not as pleased as I could have been to see him standing watch on the boat once again.  At least this time there was only one stick left.


Still wearing my striking red flannel PJs ( I am one hot Momma), I slipped quietly into shoes leaving my snoring husband and walked carefully to the back side of the wild verbena shrubs hiding me from the dock to get the picture of the fish hawk on the boat.  Hawk-eye saw me in a very short time and flew over with this scornful glance.  I am glad that he didn't poop on my head!  






I continued to hear energetic chirping from other areas of the river and saw this female perched on a high branch to my right cheer-leading her mate.  






Then I saw across the river this little altercation which clarified all the activity.  It appears that two osprey couples want this location!  I watched and took photos for a while, most were not clear and so I cannot post them.  After about five minutes, all the osprey left for the wider parts of the river and the bay for a breakfast break.  It will be interesting to see how and if the drama unfolds as the day progresses.




For a closer look at the Hatfield/McCoy altercation click on photos, of course.


P.S.  The altercation did not continue in the days that followed, but we did see one osprey missing two valuable wing feathers as he soared over the yard later in the day.  I am assuming he was the loser.

5 comments:

  1. Hi There Tabor, I'm trying to catch up today... Will take me forever!!!! ha....

    Cute story --and sounds like the battle that my Bluebirds had with the Chickadees for us of the nestbox. NOW???? They are all gone--and the nest is empty.... Hmmmmmm...

    Hope you have a wonderful week.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow. bet that was neat to watch...yeah glad he did not poop on you either...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow. I hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure the female wasn't encouraging her mate to poop on your head? Love the Hatfield and McCoys analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You capture the most amazing activities. You're an observant one. Wonderful story and pics as always.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.