Saturday, July 07, 2018

Almost Extinct

Shortly after my return home, this show-off started blooming in abundance in my flower beds. If you accidentally move a tiny bulb when you are transferring dirt it will bloom wherever it lands. Hard to believe that the Turkscap Lily, Lilium superbum, was once almost extinct. It is a native to my area and it seems that many years ago chefs became intrigued with eating the tasty bulbs in stews and such, which meant that it soon became endangered. Fortunately, that trend has waned and the bulbs can be easily purchased.


The name is exotic and suits the exotic shape of the flower.  It grows up to 9 feet tall if there is not enough sun!  Mine grow just over three feet.



The looks as though they would only grow in the tropics, but like many lilies they are very hardy.


Requiring rich soil with good drainage and average sun they will reward a gardener with many blossoms.  They may need staking, though.  Mine seem to be hybridized for giant and abundant blooms.


Those black seeds that rest in the crook of the stem and leaf are actually able to produce plants if you are patient for a few years.  It is faster to dig up the bulbs and use the bulblets, though.

The contrast of the dark purple anthers at the ends add just the right touch and some of the swallowtail butterflies visit.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful flower
    The few milkweed here are gone, weeded out. Teary heart seeing a Momsrch butterfly leaving the yard today. With luck I'll find replacements to protect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe I've ever seen them, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are quite showy! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are showy and wonderful! It would be a sadder world without them, i am glad they were saved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely! It has been a long time since I have seen any of our native tiger lilies. So glad you are perpetuating your lovely lily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thought is how brave (or hungry) the people were who ate the first bulbs must have been. The beautiful flowers suggest something rather poisonous to me, so often brightly coloured blooms are a warning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are indeed intricate blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gorgeous flowers. I added it to my list for the next time I make a run to the nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. awesome looking Lily!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.