Monday, June 03, 2019

They Are Not On My Shoulders...Yet

Last month I saw the bluebirds take a break from raising their young in the front yard by coming out to my back deck to bathe in peace and quiet. I am guessing they were tired of looking at vast open mouths.  They spent all day bringing bugs from the vegetable garden into the little wood house at the corner of the garden.  Earlier in the month, I saw two males on my deck which is a somewhat unusual sighting being together during the mating season.



They both were still in their brilliant blue mating colors.  The birdbath is a bit of a spa these days, as the fragrant petals of the Meyer lemon tree keep falling into it.


As the new month started, I was able to open the eating area windows after the rains cooled to let fresh air into the house.  That was when I could hear that familiar little timid chatter that is their song. You can Google the sound, but it is like trickling water and with a silver musical note. Never bold or loud, but certainly insistent.  It sounds like gossiping to me sometimes!  I looked out the patio doors and saw this couple below on the back of one of my chairs.




At first, I thought that their babes must have fledged as the birds were at my deck every single day. Sometimes bathing and sometimes just hanging out and grooming.


It wasn't until my husband suggested it, that I realized they were feeding young in a birdbox that has not been occupied for some time and is just beneath our deck.  Maybe this is a second batch or just another couple with new ones!

Our bluebirds are not seasonal but stay in our woods year-round and bring brilliant color after a heavy snow when they visit the heated watering dish. 


Wondering if I put a caterpillar on my shoulder he would take the invite.

7 comments:

  1. such beautiful shots of the bluebirds. I see them rarely though one spring we had a pair nest in one of my birdhouses but not since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites, but not seen too often around our place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve never seen those bluebirds here. They are pretty. Lucky you to have them around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birds can teach us something everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful and fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bluebirds are one of the best, and they love a bath.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you get to see these beautiful neighbors!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.