Thursday, January 23, 2020

I Talk to the Trees


This is a follow-up to our walk in the State Park in the prior post. We skirted the marsh and could not help but be enthralled by the golden light and shadows across the waves of grass lying dormant until spring. The ground was dry in places and making it easier to find our way when the path disappeared beneath a layer of fallen leaves or in places where a tree had blocked the normal path.



Perhaps I was more in tune with it all since I had just finished reading The Overstory by Richard Powers.  I was listening for the whispers of the ancient ones and cognizant of all of their gaping scars.  Were some screaming at me in some silent horror at our killing of the planet?


Hubby was the one to notice the texture of this ancient tree along the path.  And I am embarrassed that I did not identify it in the photo.


You have to get in closer to see what hubby saw.



Some sapsucker was enjoying a gargantuan meal.  But we went on a while longer as the hike was not over.  There was a secret message left by another tree hugger along the path at our feet.


We headed back to the car and back home for some hot tea or cocoa!

14 comments:

  1. All those sapsucker holes make for an interesting design. Wow! This is my first time here on this blog. It's nice, but which is your "regular" one? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Djan..my ONe Day at a Time is my blog that I post about my life. This blog is about the nature of hte world that I love.

      Delete
  2. I like talking to the trees too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old trees die but then they provide food and shelter for other life. That sapsucker tree took a lot of knock knock knocking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Imagine what the tree said to the sapsucker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't laugh but there are theories that trees talk to each other. There are tree families. Not old wives tales but some research has gone into this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know. Many plants send messages to other plants.

      Delete
    2. Ok. I'm officially weirded out by that. I'll not look at a tree the same way again. Marvelous they share.

      Delete
    3. SAlty, it is done by chemicals, fungus, electrical.

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed that walk, you have inspired me to go for a walk in our Danby forest.

    ReplyDelete

  7. I have looked at trees differently since I read The Secret Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben. Fascinating read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking exactly what Marie Smith just said except I was struggling to remember the author's surname. Beautiful light in your first three shots.


    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sapsucker sure had a load of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.