Friday, January 17, 2020

New for Me



This Ruby-crowned Kinglet is widespread and common according to Audubon. Yet in my woods, they come briefly in the spring and because they are such rapid flit-abouts, I do not get much of a chance to see them or photograph them.  This one above fell in love with my front room window...or his reflection in the window.  

I am amazed that they can waste so much energy in the winter months attacking their reflection!  They are insect eaters, so they must be finding much sustenance under the leaves in my lawn and the detritus in my flower beds.




Above is the fellow with his red feathers hidden. He raises the red crown when in mating mode!  He is quite the change artist.  There is also a hint of yellow on his wings which is not shown above.  Their nests are those amazing cups that hang.  They are a northern species, nesting in conifers and here only in the winters.  I do enjoy an opportunity to observe a new bird...for me.

6 comments:

  1. Mew to me, though without the red Mohawk I would not give them a second glance. Now I have to keep my eye open for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you! You may never have seen the ruby crown if he hadn't been so territorial with that guy in your window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you. It is a pretty little creature!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kinglets are very hard to spot. They're small and keep moving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty, and yes, it is funny and a little concerning to see them spend so much time battling a reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice bird. Is he maybe challenging a rival in his reflection?

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.