Friday, November 17, 2023

Surprisingly Lengthy

This season keeps on giving and giving and giving. I catch my breath as I look out the window on my way to my second cup of coffee. The sun is having so much fun doing its angled fall dance. The osprey nest is vacant as is the house across the river. All is quiet. No lawnmowers or blowers or dogs.
The big oak in the foreground has these blood-red leaves every autumn. They turn cinnamon brown and then without fear fling themselves from even the highest branch and dance their way to the ground to lie with their brothers and sisters. It is magical when a breeze kicks up.



The devil in me thinks "Puzzle for a Holiday gift?".

The Viburnum down by the water has seeds that change from a glowing jade color to a crimson and finally, as the cooler air moves in, they change to an inky black. Near the Viburnum are the poison ivy seeds that bring in this female kinglet for breakfast.  Watching her weight, she only eats those that have shrunk to almost nothing.




Well, my coffee is now cold and I must return to the everyday tasks awaiting me.  This was a nice morning distraction.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:17 PM

    So glad you got distracted! Your photos are as wonderful as ever! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn is a great season with all it's colorful changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been a lovely distraction. Thank you for sharing it so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And a nice afternoon distraction for me. Driving around this morning we found that most of the autumn color is fading as the leaves fall, but there are still bright spots. I am still reveling in the glory of this autumn too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your views without gong anywhere are rather awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Puzzle for a Holiday gift?" oh, you evil woman. what a lovely area you live in. we have poison ivy to which I am highly allergic and the birds spread the seeds so every spring I have to go around the property pulling up the new sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, the autumn colours are amazing, and little bird the end, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this nice morning distraction with us! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm laughing at your joke about the puzzle because I have worked many that are suprisingly close to that difficult..always mad at myself about halfway through for even thinking of taking on such a daunting task. I love your fall colors!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.