Saturday, November 04, 2023

An Homage to One of My Birds

Cornell Ornithology Lab has asked those of us who participate in their citizen data collection programs to let them know how watching birds makes us feel.  Of course, their survey is a line of Emoge faces from shocked or sad to thrilled with some others in between.  Yes, this symbolism reflects how watching birds can make one feel, but I think I would like to elaborate with my limited vocabulary, and if this becomes too tedious, I will add a few photos from this year.


Birds seem small and fragile and I think that appeals to our need for being needed.  We can feed, protect from the weather, and provide food habitats for these creatures.


This small and fragile vibe can be quickly changed when you see hummingbirds dueling with their long sharp beaks or you see other birds fighting over a nesting sight.


Also, the song of birds in the emptiness of the forest can fill one with such peace and joy. The song while fragile is also lyrical and hesitant.  The drumming of the woodpeckers is also reassuring that industriousness continues in nature.  The mimicry of the Blue Jay or the Mockingbird makes us smile.



The most obvious reason birds can inspire us and make us feel better is their lovely color and light flying capabilities.  I might have wished I could do that.  Just flit about.


During the survey yesterday I did have to add one sad emoge because we found in the side yard a Sapsucker lying on the gravel.  There were no obvious windows and I find it hard to think it might have been poisoned.  No injuries on the body.  But I had just seen the two of them, the pair, checking out the trees above for bugs that day.  So Sad.


9 comments:

  1. This is a lovely post.
    I used to do a lot more serious bird watching than I do now. I kept a life list for here in the garden. I seldom use my big Canon camera any more. But I still enjoy watching them flit around the garden. We started filling seed and suet feeders again and I'm enjoying having the little birds come to the window feeder and the flickers use their tails to perch on the suet feeders.
    When you watch birds you have to stop all other activity and just be calm and intent on your mission. Everything else is let go for those brief moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughtful post

    Bird watching helps erase feelings of aloneness. Anyone that sees birds scurrying around pecking for bugs or at seed has a view of what it is to know there are living beings in the world that move, breath, eat and sleep like we do. Not alone as long as there are birds around. And sometimes, if you miss putting out seed at the regular hour, bluejays will remind you. There is no alone with a bluejay squaking, crows cackling, robins crapping on your car or seagulls diving for your lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birds do please us. Some little ones, I think house finches, were flitting around our front tree this morning, feasting on seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been watching a crow family in our area. We see them every day and feed them. One has a broken beak and we feel protective of it. Birds give us joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw some tiny little birds fly into a bush today. Not close enough to see clearly, and they quickly took off. But I now have a bird identification app on my phone, since I'm just a novice birdwatcher...no binoculars or super zoom lenses either. Just a love of their song, their habits, their flight, the wonderful beauty, and feathers, yes indeed, feathers that they let fall to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite sounds out walking by the old trees is the rattling call of woodpeckers. I rarely see them, but knowing they're there is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love watching the birds out my window. I ran out of seed for a few days but they moved on I guess because there is no activity this morning when the chickadees and titmice and cardinals should be stocking up for winter. where are the birds?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Special birds, they are so superb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are a joy to watch and it's a happy way to nurture a bit of nature in our back yard, caring for them.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.