Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Bitter Fruit

It is a bitter world this month. My Meyer lemon has come forth with hundreds of buds and now even has a few blossoms. I got one lemon off this two foot high tree last year and hope by hand pollinating, since there are no crawling or flying insects in my house, that I will get more this year.  I will have to manage removing if too many set as the tree is too small. The smell of the blossoms on this tree is overwhelming.


My Calamondin tree is has been busy for a month with ripening fruit and now we can pick one small one golden orb for our drinks in the evening and I will soon have to do some baking with this fruit and freezing the rest of the abundance.


Both of these are bitter juice fruits, but such a surprise in taste and smell in the short days of winter. Yes these are not in the Room Without Walls, but in a little over two months they will be back out there on my deck.

11 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the juice of the lemon is brilliant, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful plants and fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got my three blueberry bushes in the ground and the satsuma orange tree is next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Citrus trees in the house must be both crowding and enjoyable. May you get many, many lemons this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The smell of orange blossoms is heavenly. I've never seen a lemon tree in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious pictures. The smell must be also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be pleasant to have these plants in your house. For all it's worth , my christmas cactus is blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun to have these growing in your house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How neat to have your own citrus! I have to buy my lemon juice for everything. I am jealous you have flowering produce this time of year. Here Jan n Feb are house plant only time. Not enough sun here for them. My only window is north.
    I wish I could have a conservatory someday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am pretty sure lemon trees will not grow in Oklahoma. That is okay with me because I rarely use lemons or lemon juice. Of course I rarely cook.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just lovely stuff. And what is that second fruit?

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.