Monday, January 09, 2017

The Rest of the Rabbit Story

I woke early on Saturday to the predicted snow storm. I opened the front door and saw this very quiet and very stealthy event happening before my sleep fogged eyes.




Even after the morning sun was behind the clouds  and beginning to coldly light the day, I had a very blue picture of my front yard.




By early afternoon the snow  had thinned for just a bit and I walked out to the annual flower garden and saw that someone (most probably our gray fox) had surgically removed the rabbit that had been caught in the predator fence. There was NOTHING left except the fur caught on the wire and this small bunny tail in the second photo which I brought inside. I guess bunny tail soup is too exotic for a hungry fox.  It will be my souvenir of this winter storm.



Within 30 minutes I had to hurry back to the house (forgetting to take the snow shovel out of the shed) and this was the scene that kept most of us at home for the next twenty-four hours.



I tucked away inside my house all Sunday finishing chores and drinking decaffeinated coffee and snuggling up to a cozy fire...



 in the evening and binge watching some old PBS series I had watched years ago. Today I must go out and brave the slippery crusty snow to feed my feathered friends as this is a bird counting day!

12 comments:

  1. well, someone had a hearty meal even without the bunny tail. that last picture of the snow is beautiful, magical but I am so glad it's not happening here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow coffee and a fire , perfect. Well not so much for the bunny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Peter Cottontail...now Peter No-tail. Maybe he survived?? What PBS series were you watching? Downton Abbey?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like peaceful way to spend a snowy afternoon. I watched "The City of Our Final Destination" yesterday while it snowed here. Liked it a lot. At least the fox cleaned up the scene for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only thing i want to do on cold days is sit and get warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's something comforting about staying in when there's a beautiful snow storm outside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you got to enjoy some snow - the best way, inside beside a fire!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to go out into new fallen snow and enjoy the beauty and the quiet, and then have the luxury of a cozy home from which to view the snow in warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had 18 inches of snow! I'll post Thurs. Folks here quit bird feeding out front this year. I just put bread out here n there but we are trying to discourage turkeys n coyotes seen recently. A retriever down the road nearby was killed about 2 weeks back. Hope the snow is more fun than work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is cold but beautiful. I so enjoy viewing it from here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope this was meant to be funny, because it was. Thanks for the giggles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cycle of life prevails but best we don't get caught in a fence along the way.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.