Saturday, August 18, 2018

Goldfinch

The population of goldfinch varies during the summer months. They do come through to eat in the winter at the bird feeders, but summer is not as predictable. This year I have an abundance of volunteer zinnias and a few volunteer sunflowers and thus, an abundance of goldfinch!  They are territorial at the sunflower head but seem to be willing to share elsewhere and at the birdbath.  You can see below why my zinnias get destroyed.  It seems that goldfinch also like to eat the petals of the flower!






10 comments:

  1. Great captures! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NJ State bird...love'em. Don't see them too much, but if there re sunflowers, they do come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you know how to keep them coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have lots of goldfinch in the country but I rarely see them in town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful! I would gladly welcome goldfinch to my zinnias but I fear we are too citified here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! You caught the rascal red beaked! Great photos

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only seen goldfinches out here one as a flock migrated through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He likes sunflowers as much as I do! :)

    I am your newest Follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb images Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They think your yard is the best restaurant!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.