Saturday, August 25, 2018

The Birds

I have failed to journal the birds this summer and so I will share what has happened in just this last week in my neck of the woods.  You can click on the photos for a larger view.



The osprey are still hanging around teaching their offspring to fish and calling bravely when you pass too close to the nest in a boat.



As I said in an earlier post "our" osprey were only able to produce one little offspring.  The weather has been so wet that small plants are growing in among the sticks as you can see in the photo above.



My petunia pot has a wrens nest and even today they are just getting their feathers...looks like four.



The sandbar before the bridge still has the normal conglomeration of seagulls waiting for the setting sun so that they can go fishing.  They are actually not called a flock but a "colony."



There is an "island" offshore where the Cormorants and the Pelicans hang out, each on their own rock pile.  The white flags in the background are crab pots waiting to be pulled.



Sadly we lost one of our Yellow-billed Cuckoos this past week.  This is an example of their lovely rusty-colored feathers.  The skeleton was most of what remained and we can hear the mate calling and calling each day.  The call sounds like the whistle when one pumps one of those gallon sprayers that is used to spray an herbicide or pesticide!  It has got an echo sound and very hard to pinpoint exactly where the cuckoo may be sitting in a tree.  You can go to this link if you want to hear the sound...the first link is the one we hear in our woods,  supposed to be the female call or a male trying to attract a female ... sad.

10 comments:

  1. I've so enjoyed your peaceful posts here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My borrowed cat killed a Bewicks wren the other day. I know there is someone missing it. They nest here in our yard and I love them. Makes me sad too.
    You have wonderful feathered friends so nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy your bird stories. You are in tune with the feathered ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now journal birds? I must do that next year. I record all birds in my yard but don't put down any information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s a great joy to watch birds raise their babies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for Cuckoo, that's life I'm affraid. The world would be about the Osprey, fantastic you have caught one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely feathers but sad. I don't think we have our full complement of birds even one year after Harvey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do believe birds are declining in number here as I've observed over the past four decades. Such lovely feathers but sorry the Cuckoo gone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never knew that "colony" fact about gulls. You are so lucky to have such birds near your home. Sad the bird lost it's mate n you can't explain to it. Hope it finds another.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing these magnificent birds! Wish some of them came this far north!

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.