Monday, August 13, 2018

Natural Entertainment

There is nothing worse than a summer cold unless it happens during those hot humid days toward the end month as you wait for fall having tired of comparing a mild fever to the real heat of a sweating brow when attempting to weed a flower bed while your nose drips, drips, drips to the ground. While lying in my bedroom one afternoon and sucking on a cough drop, I observed the view from the window at the foot of my bed.




Yes, I opened the window to get a better photo.  This is Auralia spinosa more commonly known as devils' walking stick.  The common name comes from the sharp and spiny thorns on its branches and trunk.  It thrives at the edges of woods or where soil has been disturbed.  Many people want to eradicate it, but it is an important pollinator and in my case a great source of entertainment while resting in bed.



I watch them dance and spar and then drink deeply of some amazing nectar: bees and bumblers and wasps, and butterflies.  It is good medicine.

8 comments:


  1. Bush of Dreams
    If it grows, they will come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen many butterflies this year. not sure why. and yeah summer colds suck but then so do winter colds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good medicine to share it too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful show from your sick bed. Buzz and flutter. I hope you are back among them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve had a cold too but my view is not near as lovely Tabor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who knew colds also go around among bloggers!
    Prayers you feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry that you are under the weather.

    Watching bees and butterflies is so cheering, i’m glad you understand the value of even plants other people don’t like much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a very colorful show. Rapid recovery to you.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.