Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Spa Day

A late summer event, no time to send out the announcements! But as usual, I took photos. The first photo is of the petunia pot that rests in a corner of my deck this summer.


It gets visited by birds and butterflies throughout the months.


The pot is close to the birdbath which gets visited by an assortment of feathered beauties during the month. I water almost daily now that summer it at it hottest and as you can see I do not sweep the deck. One morning I noticed this below in the far corner of the flower pot!


This was taken on August 18...a wren's nest buried under the petunias.


Above was taken on August 20, two days later. You can see their pin-feathers.


Taken on August 23 with eyes open.


Taken on August 24 where you can clearly see there are four as they push open the mouth of the nest. I am now watering carefully around the nest.


I have not really been able to watch the parents feeding because they dive out of the pot and away into the woods hidden by the deck.  On August 27 one of the parents was hanging out on the post in the pot. I went out to take another photo.


Here they seem to be clearly fed up with my stalking them as they cower down. Within three hours when I went out to check again, they were all gone! They had fledged and I could not see them anywhere in the woods. A few hours later I captured this.


This is one of the parents, I am guessing Mom finally getting her spa day.

11 comments:

  1. Priceless to be able to watch their development! Well caltured!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous to be able to watch them so closely, even if they didn’t quite think so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. Lucky you to get to witness such an event!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your "children" grow up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the wrens! I watched a nest full fledge one day as the parents had made the nest on the sill of my kitchen window and I just happened to be there at the right time. the babies are close by. I can usually locate them from their peeping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic baby Wrens, huddled up in their nest, I love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy my Petunias when they proliferate.

    I really like this photo essay! Very fun!
    Maybe babies will be back in the pot next year to nest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Congratulations! What a treat to have a nest of baby birds to watch. That can make an entire summer magical.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a perfect story for our days. Thank you. I'm sitting her smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She certainly deserved a spa day:-) I had some lovely flowers in the corners of my porch and they were doing great until we got so much rain. Do you bring your plants in when it rains? I thought it would be good for them but they are dead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what a delightful surprise to find these wrens.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.