Friday, April 03, 2009

Slow Down, You Move Too Fast






The birds are turning brilliant colors...all the colors of the rainbow. They seem to be competing with the new spring flowers in their vibrancy and certainly have gotten my attention! All of these species stayed around through the cold and gray winter months to give me joy. (The photos make great spring screen-savers.)

My Germander speedwell was transplanted from the pot on the deck to one of my perennial flower beds last fall and is now about two feet by two feet in size. Val had told me it is a weed in England, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will know it place here. ;-)

My herb garden is really showing off. I had doubled the size by winding it around the sidewalk and now have sage, rosemary, Greek marjoram, lavender, parsley, thyme, oregano and have also added some Russian sage, a small variegated holly (that lime green in the foreground), blue-eyed grass and a few day lilies for color. Eager to see how this all fills in over time, but it is moving fast.

Even my recent walk to the swamp showed big changes from the ice covered waters last month.

8 comments:

  1. Those 4 bird photographs are absolutely stupendous - images to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blessings on your speedwell, it looks lovely! Now I feel guilty at pulling it up in handfuls (not yet though, a bit early here)

    My herbs are in pots right next to the house wall not in an elegant planting.

    Fantastic bird photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Dave. Your pictures are stupendous!

    I've never heard of Russian Sage. Does it have a different taste?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bird photos are wonderful.. such beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The birds are so colorful and your pics are wonderful! I know I'm repeating myself, but really...you've taken some beauties.
    I love the way your herb garden is shaping up. It looks lovely.
    The speedwell is so dainty, isn't it? I hope it behaves for you because it sure is sweet and pretty, and such a lovely shade of blue.
    I'm wondering whether you meant snow or dirt in your comment about not being able to wear the mud boots while shoveling? (I haven't shoveled anything in mine yet!) My e-mail is in my profile if you want to answer my question that way. I'd like to share a way to possibly keep the raccoons away too, so e-mail me when you have time, please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little kidney-shaped garden makes me envious, wanting to get out there! We're still half frozen here, and only green shoots coming up in daylilly bed on south-facing side of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No little brown birds in this post, Tabor? Seeing the goldfinch, cardinal and bluejay's primary colors reminds me of using crayons to color bird ID print-outs in grammar school.

    Hope all your bird houses are occupied this year!

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.