Friday, April 24, 2009

Thrashing Around

Our first guess was that this was a wood thrush, but that was wrong. This fellow was an infrequent visitor to the yard in fall and has returned this spring and made himself visible under the bird feeder. He is a crazy bird flipping his head back and forth like a pile driver in determination to lift every leaf on the forest floor in search of insects, worms, whatever 'disgusting' piece of protein he can find. This bird is known for the loveliest of varied mimicking songs in the deep woods and if you wish to hear their song go here to Cornell's song ID site.
This bird is known as the Brown Thrasher (Toxostoma rufum) and appeared yesterday morning right after the heavy rains. I feel honored that he let me take a photo although he clearly saw me emerge on the deck. He is a shy bird and usually hides in the underbrush and because the deep woods habitat is disappearing this species has diminished in numbers. While surfing the net I found that it is the official state bird of Georgia and the inspiration for the name given to the Atlanta Thrasher hockey team. His beady yellow eye is clearly different from that of the soft brown eye of the wood thrush.

5 comments:

  1. I have never seen anything like that ...what a GREAT photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was interesting. Thanks for showing me the way to the bird site. Now I can listen to the western meadow lark anytime I feel the need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME photo, Tabor!! Isn't he a beauty. And thanks for the info on him. I don't think he has visited my backyard, altho one of my sisters has reported seeing them on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely shot of a great looking critter. I wonder.. was it a hawk he saw? Or was it just another member of the Thrasher's hawky team? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic photos, made me wish for a better close up lens on my point-and-play camera.

    ReplyDelete

Glad to hear from you once again. I really like these visits. Come sit on this log and tell me what you are thinking.